“I tried this marketing tactic and it doesn’t work.” Does this sound familiar? It is one of the most phrases among marketers. Some attempts don’t work in some markets or with some audiences, but mostly it is because they don’t give it a real chance to succeed. Here is a list of the 10 most common mistakes marketers make that you need to avoid:
- You must reach everyone. Focus on a certain niche of the marketplace. Most Realtors want to reach all buyers and sellers, but it would be better to be the best in 10% of the market, than one out of ten in the entire market you are aiming for.
- Connect with your target audience and you don’t have to “sell” as hard. Marketing planning is usually a rational exercise where as consumer decisions to purchase is emotionally driven, most of the time trumping reason in the moment.
- Many companies wholly depend on marketing data thinking it has magic powers. Some of it is totally misleading. Consumers are not always aware of why they do things, but when they know they’re not always willing share that information. Research is a good tool, but be careful not to use it inappropriately.
- Be careful not to get sucked in to the vortex of the new marketing tactics spinning around the market. Stick with what works while you research what might.
- Don’t try to outdo your competition or beat their claims. Just be different and you will stand out.
- Another thing to watch out for is advertising your aspirations. To do so will only invite consumers to look for you to fail and it is MUCH easier for them to spread the word about it nowadays. Just try to live by these aspirations in your own company, and the results will show in the market.
- You also need to be careful of having too many people putting their input into the campaign. Everyone’s tastes are different; the fewer people’s input you have, the better the outcome.
- Every company needs to get the message out. There are many types of marketing and advertising, and paid media that may not be the best thing for your company. Find the most effective method for your business and spend the money on it.
- Understand that it takes time to seed a message, and the best way to create credibility is through consistency. Plan your efforts well, stick with the plan, and it will grow in time. You don’t plant a tomato seed and come out the next day expecting to harvest full grown tomatoes. You take your time with it and nurture it. The same goes for your marketing plan.
- Do not just continue to make plan after plan after plan; they are just words after a while. A lot of companies spend all their money and effort on getting the plan together rather than putting it into practice. They get weak kneed and faint when the spotlight is on them. Not every plan you write up will take, but keep a tally on the list of things that won’t and you can move on to try the next one. Build off your mistakes; don’t be afraid to make them. “If you want to succeed, double your rate of failure.” Thomas J. Watson, President of IBM.
That’s just a short list of things to try and avoid in marketing. If you can think of anything that I’ve left off the list please share with us.