As you are putting together your marketing plan for this upcoming year don’t be overwhelmed by the fact that social media is no longer an option when it comes to competing. Social media has become a battleground in the efforts to gain consumer attention. It is not a difficult task. You just have to be aware and not be stumped by the following myths. By being aware of the following these steps you will be on your way to being a successful marketing guru!
1. Social Marketing Is Free. Just because social media platforms are free doesn’t mean that you don’t need to invest time and energy into your marketing. You will definitely need a strategy, as well as adequate time to maintain whatever you set out to do in your marketing plan in order to be successful.
2. Everyone is Doing It. Just because everyone is using a certain social media platform, doesn’t mean that it is going to be successful for you. Make sure it is the right platform that will appeal to your clientele. Keep in mind that poorly-handled marketing can do more harm than good.
3. Use All Social Media Platforms. This is a mistake a lot of businesses tend to make. You need to be where your clients are. It may be that you will only need a few social media platforms that you need to frequent regularly. You don’t want to spread yourself too thin. Search Twitter or Facebook for your clients to see if they are using the platforms. Look at the demographics for those sites and see if your target market is using them.
4. My Clients Don’t Use Social Media Sites. Most everyone nowadays is on some type of social media platform. People want to connect with their family and friends. Families now are living in different states or maybe even different countries and everyone is looking for a way to connect with their loved ones. Social media does just that. Why not take advantage of something that is already in place.
5. There are Negative Reviews. No one wants to get a negative review from anyone. But, how can you change something if you don’t know that you are doing something incorrectly. This is a great way to defend your business and respond in a timely way to problems that may arise. Being where the discussion is taking place allows you to address existing problems before they get out of hand.
6. Social Media is Useless. I have tried it for a month and it didn’t work. This is one of the most common myths. Social marketing doesn’t give you instant, measureable results. It takes time for people to find you and warm up to you. If you begin adding content to existing conversations, and add content that is valuable and usable people will take notice and will follow you. To use a quote from the movie, Field of Dreams, “If you build it, they will come.” There is a lot truth to this.
There is a lot more to social media than just simply ‘doing it’. Evaluate your marketing plan and figure out which platforms are best for you. Understanding which platforms will be beneficial to your business can make a huge difference in how you present your business to your clients.